European luxury hotel barge cruises are a wonderful way to see the smaller towns of Europe traveling the canals and waterways of France, Italy and many more countries. Below is a small selection of some of the features of these fabulous itineraries.
Some of the features of small barge cruising include:
- Intimate ‘house party’ atmosphere with small passenger numbers and an unparalleled level of personal service
- Luxury amenities including on board chef for farm to table gourmet dining experiences
- Cruises are generally less than 70 miles in a week, at only 3mph
- Cruises are on smaller waterways and canals inaccessible to larger vessels
- Unique cruising experiences
- Gentle pace and immersion in the local culture and history
- Cruising just a few feet from the towpath, it’s easy to moor up and explore on foot or bicycle
- We usually cruise for only a few hours each day and never at night
- Excursions in small groups to “off the beaten track” places
- Whole barge charters possible for a group of friends or family
European river barges include countries such as France, Germany & Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Scotland, England and Ireland. France has the most itineraries including: Bordeaux, Burgundy, Canal du Midi, Alsace & Lorraine, Gascony, Champagne, Picardy & Paris.
“During your journey, you may take a gentle pedal — or a stroll — along scenic towpaths. While on land, you may venture into a nearby town or village, visit a local vineyard with private wine tasting, a local truffle farm and lavender distillery in the South of France, a tasting at a chocolatier or a guided stroll around the ramparts of a medieval castle.
From châteaux and cathedrals to busy local markets, each experience proves more revealing than the last.
Consider a peaceful cycling excursion through the countryside, or simply find a spot on deck and enjoy a cool drink as the scenery lazily rolls by.
In the evening as the sun sets, indulge in a gourmet dinner paired with local wines.”
Some of the specialty cruises include: Wine themed cruises, art cruises, antique cruises, artisan cruises, culinary cruises, walking, biking and many more – there are so many to choose from.
There are several different options and suppliers to choose from – we can help you with that. River barges range in capacity from 8 people up to 20 people and private charters.
If you want to experience a truly relaxing, laid back and immersive travel experience, this is something to consider.